Saturday, June 8, 2013

Minor Celebrity


Written Wednesday Posted Sunday

So, today was fun. Started out with classes, which are so easy that they are boring, but we talked to our program leader, and we should be getting challenged soon. :) And I got to try out the school cafeteria today. You gotta buy a voucher ticket from a machine, and you give it to the lunch ladies and they then make it for you. It is all so fresh and delicious. And while I was trying to understand the words on the voucher machine, I was asked for a picture by the most delightful Japanese girls. They were so nice! I should see them at lunch again tomorrow. I feel like a minor celebrity. Everyone wants a picture with me and wants to talk to me. I'm loving every moment of this attention. :)  
The Delightful Girls. The Lunch Voucher Machines are in the Background.

Speaking Japanese was hard at first, but I'm getting a fair amount of practice and the words are flowing easier. I don't stutter so much. 

After school a large group of us decided to go to a Karaoke place. It was so much fun! We got to do about 2 hours of Karaoke for $6.60. So cheap, and so much fun. Our group mostly hung around '80's Rock music and Japanese Rock. But I made a flub and chose a song that everyone was like "The Hell?", and pretty much made me feel stupid, (I wont tell you which one), but I cut it halfway through and we finished the night with a bang singing "Bohemian Rhapsody". It was so much fun. But I realized that: just because a song is good, that doesn't mean that it is a good karaoke song. There is a difference.
C and R, Singing Aruku Aroundo, by Sakanaction together. (Look it up! The MV is amazing, and you don't need to know japanese to appreciate both the music and the MV).
Afterward, with a small remaining group, we finished the evening with Japanese sushi, $1.50 for a set of nigiri. I love how I can have an ENTIRE night of entertainment and fun for less than $10. I'm not gonna want to pay for anything when I get back to the states. It's all gonna look so expensive in comparison.
Manhole Cover from the nearby Fujidera area.

After sushi we set out to go back home, again walking. It is still the same 45 minute walk, but this time I was leading. Cuz, even though I had only walked it myself last night, I knew my way back. I almost got lost in the last blocks before the girls dorms, but luckily this neighborhood is sorta grid-like, so It wasn't detrimental.
These are just everywhere, and they always have delicious, warm food within.

Anyways, here's hoping that starting tomorrow, the leader-man will listen to our suggestion and get us more challenging material. If not, I'm gonna be crying from boredom in class tomorrow.

These are a couple of shrines on the corners and sidewalks around our neighborhood and nearby Fujidera. It's way cool to see these just dotted around the urban landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment